This is a list of articles and videos that chronicle the actions of President Obama, Congress, and the LGBT community as they work together to create a strong and equitable country.
1) Repealed the Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) Discriminatory law.
|President Obama's remarks||comments from troops|
2) Declared DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) unconstitutional and stopped Defending it in Court
Mr. Obama Moves Against Bias - New York Times
|Rachel Maddow interviews Tobias Wolff a legal expert on LGBT issues.|
|Senator Kirsten Gillibrand||Senator Chuck Schumer |
3) HHS requires any hospital receiving Medicare or Medicaid funds to allow LGBT visitation rights.
4) Launched the "It Gets Better" campaign :: It Get's Better Project website
President Obama :: Brian Bond - WH Staff :: Sec. of Labor Hilda Solis (Spanish)
5) Endorsed a U.N. declaration calling for the worldwide decriminalization of gays and lesbians around the world in an efforts to make it a worldwide policy.
6) Signed the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act
while more funding is needed per the 2012 proposed budget, an increase of $80 million to domestic and global HIV/AIDS programs committed
7) Extended benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees
Rachel Maddow show
8) Extended the Family and Medical Leave Act to cover Gay employees taking unpaid leave to care for their children of same-sex partners
9) Matthew Shepard & James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act
Obama WH speech
10) Banned job discrimination based on gender identity throughout the Federal government
11) Lifted the HIV Entry Ban.
12) Implemented HUD Policies that Would Ban Discrimination Based On Gender Identity
13) Appointed the first ever transgender DNC member
14) Named open transgender appointee Amanda Simpson (the first President ever to do so)
15 Appointed Jeremy Bernard as Social Secretary
16) Eliminated the discriminatory Census Bureau policy that kept LGBT relationships from being counted
17) Extended domestic violence protections to LGBT victims